Wednesday, April 29, 2015

This is a place YOU HAVE TO VISIT !!!!

We have shown you some out of the way places that have turned out to be quite interesting to us.

But here is one you HAVE TO VISIT!


Well, maybe I am prejudiced because I spent almost all my adult life looking a pictures which showed mainly bones.

But look at what there is to see:
a turtle skull being cleaned by bugs.
Boy, that is a lot easier than me scraping the meat off my wallaby, ducks, and weasels before I'd mount their skeletons for display!

And take a look at this giant ankle and knee of the giraffe.
It's right there for you to run your fingers through it….and they don't even mind!

How about the entire articulated skeleton of the degenerative arthritis in an adult dwarf?
We spend years learning to identify these guys on pre-natal ultrasound. Here is the other extreme!

And for you CSI fans, how about learning to profile off the skull's characteristics? 
 See the flat upper lip area of the Asian on the left below? 

And there a a lot of other animals to compare:


I have to tell you that my wife kept going between exhibits and telling me the difference between species…..and that form a person who had NEVER shown any excitement at any of the famous Natural History Museums like those in Chicago or Washington DC!

She was thrilled to see how the spine of the turtle is fused to it's shell,
 but, the armadillo's is completely separate!

 Or…. that a tibia, unlike other bones,  just doesn't heal well.

Yes, bring your kids. They will be entertained and educated at the same time,
From the small to the huge,
 like this elephant 
or this hippo to the small mole rat!

Ah…. if only I could return to my youth and take Comparative Anatomy all over again!

And if you really, really wanted to know what your great great great  great grandmother was like,
how about checking out what bones have been recovered of Lucy, the mother of human race!


Yes, I am thinking of signing up for Comp. A. one more time!
THAT would be a great retirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment