Monday, June 15, 2015

Going to the mission

A few weeks ago, when there was much in the news about rain & floods in South Texas, 
we were scheduled to visit the missions of San Antonio from the 1700's.

Fear of flooded or stranded cars led to canceling the trip by the photo club. 
But, not by me.

Unfortunately everything was covered by drizzle & fog.
Pretty crappy for photos, I must admit. 

Maybe, I thought, it´ll be a little better in B & W.



No, it did´t help 
So, I decided to go inside the church. 

The bad weather did bring me one great advantage: 
no one else was around.
So, I set up my tripod & snapped a few multi-exposures,
trying to capture the wide range of the golden hue there was inside.

Even if you are a-religious, I hope you still enjoy these shots. 



Some think so much iconry is a bad thing.
But I learned to appreciate it as art while living in AK
and visiting their numerous Russian Orthodox Churches, 
located so far away from just about everywhere.

(And, yes,  even the Mormon´s buildings in Salt Lake City are a lot of really huge painting.)

Here is something you expect to see in a Catholic church: candles to the intermediary you are asking to carry your prayers up above.


No matter what you personally believe, though, you have to agree.....
some folks do believe they serve a purpose......
and some folks did indeed spend a lot of time 
creating these works, way back in the olden days.




But, since we´ve all had about as much as we might like......

lets turn around, go outside.....and, (on another day), 
let´s see what else the grounds might have to show.


No comments:

Post a Comment